Get this widget | Share | Track details

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Fireworks In Our Hearts...

Its National Day once more, and that means a Public Holiday. Been feeling light and blissful for the past few days. So I went for a run earlier on just to remind myself that I'm alive again. Yes, the pain that reminds me that I'm breathing.

My latest obsession has been fireworks hunting. Caught one last Saturday. And one more last night. I have always pictured Singapore as having a very fast-paced and stressful society. We are always trying to beat deadlines and and outpace competitions, and most of us are just so lost inside this metropolitan maze.

I like to think thats there warmth and love within most of us, and I'm quite sure there is. But unfortunately, that side doesn't open up easily. Its constantly hiding behind the external fascia of our face, our stern-looking face.

Last night, we were in the car, driving around Marina Square, trying to get to Esplanade and hit the bridge beside it, just for the view at the stroke of midnight. We were not alone in those thoughts, there was a jam and 3 corners before our final destination, we heard the first bangs. Two minute later, we were beside Marina Bay, abandoning our vehicle on the second lane, as per many others. The rush to the origin of the boom's and bang's. The anticipation on everyone's face. The cries of awe from the children and adults alike. When we caught sight of the view, there wasn't much on our minds. Just simple admiration of the scene in all of its beauty. Is this feeling classified under bliss, happiness or content? I do not know, I only know that it felt good. And I'm certain that I'm not alone.

People were happy and Singapore did not feel so barren all of a sudden. But why is it that we only get to witness such heartwarming displays once a year. If I were to make a Birthday Wish for Singapore, I would hope for more fireworks display throughout the rest of the year. Monthly? Fortnightly? Weekly?

And I'm wondering, if I'm to start a petition for this, would it be heard and be taken seriously?

2 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger miss ene said...

And I thought that I was the only one who feel magical everytime I witness a fireworks display.

Yes, start that petition. I want more fireworks !

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger misunderstood said...

isn't it wonderful that fireworks possess that magical effect that always captivate us.

do remember that too much of a good thing might bore us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home