Get this widget | Share | Track details

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

How To Pick Up Thai(The Language, Not the Chicks)...

A lot of people, upon hearing that I have spent almost a year in Thailand, would ask me,"So, you can speak Thai well?" I would say,"Yes, pretty proficient."

What I wouldn't add, is this. During my stay in Bangkok, I realise that, while I have absolutely no trouble chatting up chicks at the clubs, I do not understand the Thai males very well. Vice versa. Thai chicks have no problem understanding my Thai, while the males have trouble catching me. Which, in a way, fortifies my belief that my keen interest and formidable progress in the language, is in no small part, due to my attraction for the opposite sex.

The other major part, I would disclose, is due to my liking for Thai pop. The language just sounds so nice on its own, and when stringed into melodies, its simply so catchy and soothing. Of course, Thai chicks will be impressed when this newbie foreigner can recognise the Thai artiste, their songs and how to sing them.

This is where I started out.

Here are a few of my favourite Thai Bubblegum Pop. You can actually play out the songs on the site. Do try them out and enjoy.

1) Glaa Por Mai by Potato
2) Kon Jiam Dtua by So Cool
3) Rueng ma-hat-sa-jan"(Miracle) by Sofa
4) Ror yoo dtrong nee(Waiting Here) by Hum
5) Kon mai ao taan(Good for Nothing) by Big Ass

I'll share more of them next time round.

Good night.

10 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger brama said...

You sound so much like my dad. He loves the Thai language, enjoys the songs and lyrics. He has even mastered Thai language. He has always tried to get me to learn Thai. Mmmm, perhaps I should introduce the two of you. (Your other vices will hit it off with his perfectly!)

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger TriplePeriod said...

What if he likes me so much that he die die must have me for a son-in-law? Then how?

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger kachuaz said...

always thought that Thai is a very soft language..eeh. i thats how u describe it..hhaa.

nice way to start learning the language.

btw, any chance you know where to get "The King's Song" ?

really liked it.

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger brama said...

What's so bad about being his son-in-law? Mmm, I sense a strong rejection there....haha. Don't worry, he would not lah! He would probably take you to be his God-son.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What how? Then you tan tio-ed!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger BeeNuts said...

Is it true that 'pit lam pa' is chilli padi in Thai language?

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how to say i love you in thai?

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger TriplePeriod said...

ka chuaz: No leh...let me know if u manage to find it though. I will keep a lookout.

anna: Yah...he wun...after seeing me.

twit: Good fortune is always never mine.

A&D: Not sure leh. Did not Aced my vocabulary though. Bt from my dictionary..chilli is "Prik". Realise that I have been using "Pet" for hot all the time but i never gota find out "Chilli" itself.

FF: We go to Bangkok together, then you look at me and speak,"I love you". Or for better effect, you can say it in their language "Chan Rak Tur". "Pom Rak Koon" also can. Think the latter more common.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger kachuaz said...

ok. will do. thanks.

i was taught "chan rak koon" back in Hatyat years ago.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger BeeNuts said...

Then chilli padi must be 'prik nam pah'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home