Get this widget | Share | Track details

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Quest for Visual Independence...

It has been a tensed day for me, all the way until my LASIK procedure. For the benefit of those who do not know, I had my operational procedure performed in Tan Tock Seng Hospital. Using Zyoptix(aka Tissue saving) for the LASIK and Intralase for the cutting of the flap. In other way, the cutting of the cornea and the burning of the cornea is done with all-laser.

I was anxious. Right up to the point just before the operation, I was regretting my decision to come for this, but I knew I had come too far to look back now. Before the procedure, the nurse briefed me on the post-operational medications, mainly 2 form of eye drops. Then I went into the operational theatre.

Some iodine solution was applied on my outer eye lids, presumably to sterilise. This was followed by some anasthesias on my left eye(and a bit on my right). I was then guided into the theatre and I lie on a flat bed. Before everything started, the surgeon put a suction ring onto my left eye ball. Was told to look down, then up, here and there as he fitted the ring. Then my head was told to stay very still as they shifted my bed and my vision was covered in darkness. It was all dark although I thought I saw my yellow lights. Then completed darkness, I could feel as bit of pressure on my eye ball, as the nurse was counting down towards the end and the surgeon was continuously saying ,"Puurrr-fect.....puuurrr-fect..." That really set me at ease knowing that things were going well. Then the dark thing swung out of the way and my sight as still extremely blurry, this was when I realise my cornea flap was just cut but LASIK was not performed yet.

Subsequently, I was told to stare at a bright, shining red light surrounded by green light. And I was told to keep staring at the centre of the red light no matter what. Then the LASIK started, the red dot would blink and get larger here and then. I would also smell the burning, that did not felt good but the surgeon was again, assuring me with his "puurr-fect" calls. Up til now, I estimated that it took around ten to fifteen minutes from the moment I lie down.

My cornea was then "flipped" back and the surgeon used two rubber thingy to slow sweep my eye ball. I think its to "flatten" the cornea flap in place. Finally, he took out the suction ring and it was completed. No pain, just a lot of anxiety on my part. Immediately after the procedure, vision was hazy and there was an eye shield.

Was made to rest in a waiting area for twenty minutes during which there were some tearing and a slight discomfort in the eye(feels like mild shampoo in your eye). Vision was hazy but each time I open my eyes, things got slightly, slightly better. Finally when the surgeon asked for me, I stood up and walk towards his inspection room and I could actually read some of the letters around in the room. I entered the inspection room, I could actually see through the glass windows pretty well and I was even staring at the red calligraphy on the wall, for the first time, I actually admired the writings. He did a quick look at my eye and said ,"Excellent".

Right now, vision is a bit tad hazy still but I was told by Mei, who just went for LASIK, then it should clear up soon and I should see improvements over the next few days. But one thing that I felt, my left eye could definitely attain functional vision, 6/6 is another story but after being trapped behind glasses for almost two decades, I'm grateful enough. On my way home, I kept stealing glances at the outside of the cab, in between my "closed-eye rest", to "test-test" my new-found left eye vision, it was pretty clear, though it still feel hazy and slightly shampoo-irritating sensation. Knowing that there was no contact lens of whatsoever in between, IT FELT GOOODDDD!!!!

Right now, the difference in visual power on my left and right is making me sleepy. I should probably go and sleep it off now.

5 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You damn hardcore maaan… go LASIK still can blog

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah! really hardcore! still can blog with one eye lasik-ed, the other not... =p
-yf

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger brama said...

Cool man! I'm going to print out this page. I need it for courage. It doesn't sound that bad afterall. I may be able to go for one myself.

Did you choose to just do one eye first? Isn't it uncomfortable not being able to see on the other eye? How long before you can do the other eye?

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger TriplePeriod said...

ah lim, yf : Not that difficult la. Though my doctor told me not to strain my eye-sight too much after my surgery. I can type without looking at the monitor you know? Its just my thoughts, the fingers and the keypads. Impressive i know, in this IT era, not a lot of people can achieve typing without seeing at above 99 wpm wor...

anna: Its really not as bad as you think, after all, so many people have done it with satisfactory results. But keep in mind that nothing in 100 percent when it comes to surgery.The law in S'pore stipulates that you can only perform one eye in one day. It a bit tad uncomfortable this way, vision is half clear/half blurry. Right now, my corrected eye still needs a bit of time to stabilise its vision when I just woke up, sometimes after I blink, or after I open my eyes, so its scary when I see blurry vision and I wonder if my corrected eyes just gotten worse.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

I'm feeling extremely queasy right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home