Get this widget | Share | Track details

Monday, April 11, 2005

Smoky Smoking...

WARNING: If you are under 18 years of age or have no mind of your own, please turn away from this page now. Otherwise, read on...

How many of smokers started smoking even though they were fully aware of the perils right from the beginning? Why do we start on it? Was it under the influence of the advertising campaigns? Peer pressure was the most commonly-cited reason.

I'm sure what we never had, we would never miss. To light up on that very first ciggy, we must have had a very compelling reason(Unless the kiddo was raised in a smoky'family and thus think that its perfectly alright to be fagging).

Its been light years since I lighted my first. No, no one offered me my first one. I was in a lot of mental pain, un-reciprocated love I remember. Kinda stupid if I look back, was a kid, who did not know the rules of the game. He thought that if the guy liked the girl alot and tried hard enough, the girl must reciprocate. Wrong formula, he tried too hard anyway. In that moment of anguish, probably with the scenes(from TVs and movies) of smoking broken-hearted comrades in the back of his mind, he thought it might look good to act the part. No one was looking but it does not really matter much to a narcissist. He wanted the part of a painful soul, he wanted her to see the pain she dealt.

Well, she never had the pleasure of sight. The guy... well... he had stumbled upon one of the great pleasures of life. He... had the better part of the deal. *Lights up*



Spy to Austin Power,"Do you smoke?"
Austin,"I breath, but I don't inhale."

Simone on smoking:
1) They keep you awake and alert.
2) They help you lose weight by making you eat less.
3) You have something to hold in your hands.

14 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can never understand the enjoyment of smoking though my dad is a smoker and majority of my girlfriends are smokers.

imagine i spent a good portion of time of during that 3 years poly life doing nothing but standing amidst 3 smokers (charmaine, lisa & jamie lor) smoking outside ngee ann polytechnic entrance. come to think of it i look so out-of-place and stupid. but i've never had the temptation or urge to pick it up though they always tempt me with it. i think is simply so unbecoming but they really think its cool and, yes, it can help them lose weight.

but they have cut down considerably already and you should too la. its really bad for health. =)

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger TriplePeriod said...

That was so cool and strong of you not to be waived by their influence. And thanks, dun worry about my side though. I am not as chimney-like as I portrayed myself to be. I'm still what they termed a "social" smoker still.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger brama said...

Speaking of which, I'm like Linda too. Dad's a 2-packer at least! Ah Ma, Uncles, Aunts, cousins.... I'm the one soaking up their smoke! Wonder if any harm is done?
=( Probably, it has gone up my head!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger limegreenspyda said...

apparently, smoking helps relieve stress (temporarily) and you look 'cool' doing it with friends/strangers. very social. frequently, i feel it's easier for smokers to look occupied, rather than non-smokers who just stand there not puffing on anything. i'm the only person in my circle of friends who does not smoke, and sometimes i feel like i'm missing out on something. but at the end of the day you'll know who's missing out when you climb that flight of stairs to the overhead bridge!

anyway i think everything in moderation is the way to go.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Guojun said...

I had my 1st stick when I was 3yrs old. Then never again. Heehee. Whoever say you are too young to know better is wrong!!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger FF said...

I want to quit.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger FF said...

it has gone beyond the point where i smoke to look cool. Cigarettes are now a need, not a want. My mind can't function properly without a cig.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger TriplePeriod said...

Anna: Wah... smoky family eh? You know what they say about Old People(eg. ur Ah Ma) who had been smoking for decades? They say its not advisable for those to stop,health may be worst for than when they were smoking. Probably the psychological reliance they already have on the habit.

limegreenspyda: you'll be amazed by how fit some smokers are, unfortunately, I'm not one of those. :)

Guojun: Early boomers somehow never last in this smoking category.

FF: Let's meet up for a smoke and discuss how to quit.

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

im chain-smoking now. in a period of self-cast depression. my brain feels groggy with all the smoke then i dont have to think ...

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger TriplePeriod said...

twitty: That is so bad. No point in smoking til that extent. It will sound so diplomatic of me to tell you to sober up immediately but I know its NOT possible. Kinda of guess what you are feeling now, you have to release your pent-up tension. But smoking alone, is not the right way.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger None said...

smokers anonymous huh???

hahaha

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger brama said...

ah 9, you always cracked me up! Smokers Anonymous?? *hand to forehead*

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger J Schnorng said...

Haha...I was actually in one of those smokers anonymous groups in my first year of college, where we all sat around and tried to quit; I managed three months, before smoking again.

I've quit again, though - I think it's been almost a month this time round; I was more gradual about it, though, like, I quit over three months, and reduced my daily cigarettes by 1 or 2 each week, from a pack a day in week 1 to 1 cigarette every two days in week 10; hopefully, I'm finally quit for good, but man, talking about ciggies is still painful, because man, some times you just really want to smoke.

Regards,
J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home