Get this widget | Share | Track details

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

For Better, Worse, Richer or Poorer... & Financial Tactical Session...

I had a very interesting conversation with a friend just now. She definitely appears well-off and I just got to know that when she was younger, her family was very poor. So we got onto this topic.

Apparently, when her dad and mom met, they had nothing. The wedding was done under $200. The gown was self-made by the bride and her sister. Thats so sweet. There is no doubt on the motive of their union, which is love. But turning my head towards the affluent, it leads me to speculate on whether people are getting paired up, based on compatibility in wealth and social standings. Just like whether Jack would have managed to win Jill's hands, if assuming he is not a rich lawyer and drives a swanky Porsche. You can always claim that, without that extra 5 "0" at the end of his bank account balance, you would still have loved him for who he is. But would he be who he is now, if he did not that have extra 5 "0"s in the first place? These are doubts, that you can never clear.

On another point. As an average joe, it always amaze me as to how fortune was made from nothing within a generation. I always have this misconception that money is easier to make ten years ago as compared to now. So not true. Making money is never easy. It must not have been easy back then too.

I was talking about the really rich(filthy-rich) men that I have met so far. Despite their standing, I realise that most of them are very giam sap(stingy). But that aside, I believe, while they are not very fond of spending unnecessarily, they must be pretty good at spending when it matters most. I mean, how are you going to make more money if you are not willing to put any out in the first place?

This MUST be it. One of their secrets... to know when not to spend and more importantly, when to. Getting rich, you have to start somewhere. I'll start by making a list of "To Spend or Not" List as follow:


To Spend Less on...

- Midnight charge of taxi ~ It wouldn't cost more than 3 bucks in petrol to drive from Orchard to my place. Inclusive of parking, it wouldn't go above 10 bucks, so why should I pay 20 over for it. Hitch a ride if I have to. Car pool with drinking kakis. If not, don't drink, hence can drive.

- Drinks ~ Been drinking too frequently, whats the point in drinking 5 or 6 times a week, and you never feel "Total Satisfaction" for each session. Resolve to drink less times each week.

- Mid-range dining ~ Mid-range priced eateries may be charging you up to 10 or 15 bucks per meal. But compare that to the food court, 5 bucks? The difference, when multiply by the number of times I visit them over the month. It adds up. But too much of good things and it loses the novelty. Hence, I resolve to eat cheap, more often. After all, a full-stomach feels the same regardless of what you eat and I can spend what I saved on food to Drinks.


To Spend on...

- Serial Drama VCDs and Playstation Games ~ One Serial can keep you occupied for at least one weekend during which, you will not get out as often and waste your time loithering in shopping malls thus incurring further expenditure. Of course, you can swap Serials with like-minded frugal friends for the leveraged-saving effect.

- Part-time Courses ~ You learn new things, pick up new skills and you get to meet new people(Networking).


Don't get me started on Moonlighting. But thats under earnings, not savings. I shall spare you for now.

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger TriplePeriod said...

Piang. Pay me to send u back? Aiyo, I'm not that giam sap lah. Thats why I'm not rich. Hahaha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home